Being single used to mean that you were on the long and winding road to Spinsterville, via On The Shelfdom and Pity Avenue. It used to mean that you were just passing time, waiting patiently until some ‘hero’ swooped in and saved you.
Being single just doesn’t mean that anymore, now its a sign of independence and that you care enough about your life to not just settle for whoever comes along, just to fill a void that society thinks should be filled, but really means taking the time to spend your life genuinely the way that you want to, and if that life involves another person that’s nice and if it doesn’t well that’s just dandy too!
Don’t misunderstand, I am not disregarding companionship and love, I just think there has been a seismic shift in the way us single folk are viewed. There are so many things to be learned and experienced in your life, and that’s only one of the reasons being a lone wolf is just peachy.
I am single, I have been single for a while, in all honesty a long while, as the said while has passed I have learnt that being single is not the worst, in fact controversially it might just be the best. Grab a pew and brew and I will share my wisdom with you;
When you are single there are just some things that you can do that no coupled up person could begin to do without mammoth compromise, or protracted discussion, which lets face it either way is just one of you losing out, these things include –
1. Watching every single episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Gilmore Girls or every series of Law and Order at any time of the day, any day of the week, without having to consider your other half’s TV preferences.
2. Ordering a pizza with exactly the toppings you want, counting down the minutes leading up to its arrival like a kid on Christmas eve, not only because pizza is basically the best food but because if you are anything like me, real joy in life comes from not having to share food!
3. Not making plans. There seems to be some kind of silent covenant you enter into as you go forth into a new relationship, the need to make plans. All the plans. Weekends, evening, city breaks, holidays, moving in, getting married, kids, pensions, new kitchens…phew I am tired thinking about it. Give me a week free of plans to fill up with activities if I wish any day over the next 40 years planned out before me.
4. Dating, there is nothing more nauseatingly exciting that the build up to a first date, that is unless you count the first kiss. Oh lord the first kiss, that intrepid moment where you try to pick the perfect moment, and have that delicious butterfly feeling that makes everything tingle. The shaking hands, slight lean in before eyes close and you completely fall into the moment with the reckless abandon. Sure you coupled folks have the deep heart felt moments, but us singlies have the excitement of infinite first kisses.
5. You get to be selfish. In a world filled with conflicting information when it comes to women and relationships, the one thing I hold true is the fact that being single allows me to complete bypass it. From magazines applauding motivated female leaders on one page and 3 later suggesting ways to make your man fall in love with you, or how to make him happy in bed, or trick him into marrying you. I am wildly thrilled that the only person I have to make happy is myself, and being single affords me the time and space to do just that.
So there you have it, by top 5 best bits about being single… what are yours?
Join our tribe
We promise to pop a whole host of good stuff into your inbox every Wednesday to brighten up your week. Can't say fairer than that now can we?