So you made my slow roasted lamb from last month’s budget Sunday lunch, and you took my advice and roasted up two shoulders of lamb at once. Because you know that leftovers from a Sunday dinner are the best. But how does one make the most of that delicious leftover roast lamb? Aside from the standard lamb and stuffing sandwich option there are a range of opportunities to use up your extra shoulder of lamb. One such option is this incredible moreish Lamb Hotpot. Straight from the depths of ‘tup North’ … or Lancashire as I am told. Lamb Hotpot is another meal that does all the hard work for you. You simply chuck your lamb into a pan along with some slices of potato and onion, smother with stock and then bake in the oven for a couple of hours. Oh my … it’s a good’un!
Below I have detailed a basic recipe for you to build upon if you wish. The intensity of the lamb and stock itself is enough to provide a rich flavour but do feel free to experiment with fresh herbs and other root vegetables. I would recommend rosemary, thyme, worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, carrots, parsnips, swede or sweet potato. Not all at once of course!
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 1 pint lamb stock
- 1 lamb shoulder (leftovers), cut into 2cm chunks
- 500g - 750g potatoes, thinly sliced
- Knob of butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- In a large baking dish, scatter the lamb chunks in a layer across the entire bottom.
- Next, layer the onions over the lamb evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour the stock over the onions and lamb until the stock comes just up to the onions.
- Finally, create a layer of potato over the onions and lamb. Start at one short end and place in a line before overlapping the potatoes on the next row.
- Gently brush the potatoes with melted butter.
- Cover the dish with foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes before reducing the temperature to 130C for 2 hours.
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 20-30minutes at 200C until the potatoes are crisp.
- Serve with your fave green veg for bonus healthy points.
Join our tribe
We promise to pop a whole host of good stuff into your inbox every Wednesday to brighten up your week. Can't say fairer than that now can we?