I have a confession. For all of my foodie credentials, my wittering about seasonal produce and my dedication to home-cooked food, you will always be able to find a packet of Super Noodles in my cupboard for lazy (read: hangover) days. Super Noodles are my ultimate comfort food, despite their lurid yellow colour and list of ingredients longer than my arm. However, it is possible to have microwave food that isn’t quite so toxic for you. This microwave mac ‘n’ cheese in a mug has absolutely no nasties in whatsoever, so I think we can safely file it in the health food section of our brains and feel wholesome when we eat it. It’s perfect for days-after-the-night-before, when you need cheesy carbs in your face as quickly as possible but with minimum effort. Once made, you should ensconce yourself on the sofa under a blanket and chain watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It’s really the only way to get through.
- 100g macaroni
- 100ml water
- 100ml milk
- 50g grated cheese (I used emmental & cheddar, but use whatever you like!)
- Place the macaroni, water and milk into a mug, and then place the mug inside a microwaveable bowl. This will catch any liquid that boils over and stop you from having to deep clean your microwave.
- Heat in the microwave for 6-8 minutes in 1-2 minute bursts, stirring in between and tipping any liquid that's boiled over in the bowl back into the mug. The macaroni should be cooked until al dente, so you may need to adjust for your microwave.
- Tip the grated cheese into the mug and stir until it forms a cheese sauce. If it doesn't melt completely, pop the mug back into the microwave for another 30 seconds or so until smooth.
- Eat straight from the mug!
Join our tribe
We promise to pop a whole host of good stuff into your inbox every Wednesday to brighten up your week. Can't say fairer than that now can we?